Thursday, May 22, 2014

Raisin bread

An easy and light cake today without eggs, butter, milk and such!!! Still delicious, though. Sounds great, non? If I tell you that has raisins charmed by cinnamon, what would you say? It's greek name : "Stafidopsomo".
When I was a child, I did not like raisins, so despite that my mother was making often this "cake" I was spending my time trying to take out all the raisins before attacking to the cake :)))
But it was smelling sooo nice that I could not resist, I wanted still to taste it, although it was making my life difficult, kind of a torture.
I kept asking my mother whether she could make the recipe without the raisins and I remember that my question was always shocking her. I did not know anything about cooking at that time. Now that I see the recipe, years after, I can see why ... it does not have much this cake, so if you take out the raisins there is not much to be left there :))) So, here it is today, full of raisins, and in preference greek if you can find at your place (Corinthian raisins are among the best!). 
 Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of black raisins
1/2 cup of sunflower oil
500gr self raising flour for cakes
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
enough cinnamon to make the dough dark enough :)

Procedure
Put the raisins in one cup of boiling water, and let them for 5-10min to get soft.
Add in a bowl all the ingredients including the raisins with the their water and the rest of the water (1/2 cup)  and mix well. Empty the dough in a buttered rectangular oven dish like the one in the photo (20cm x 30cm approx.). You could also empty the dough in individual muffin molds, the result is also very good. 
Bake in the oven at 180 degrees of Celsius and fan for about 40min or until the "knife test" is ok (Deep a knife in the middle and if it comes out dry the cake is ready). For the muffins, leave them only 20min. Enjoy!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment