Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Pancakes from Cyprus or "Pites tis Satziis"


When I was a child, my grand mother used to make a kind of greek pancakes that I just couldn't resist :)
She was making a huuuuge dish and she was offering them to all the clients of my father's shop... Lucky guys, yes I know!
Unfortunately, I have lost my grand-mother very early at an age that I did not appreciate cooking so much, thus I lost also almost all of her precious recipes (I still have great memories from her though, which is what counts most...). Why am I telling you all this now? Simply because I have seen recently a recipe that looked very similar to my grandma's pancakes and you guessed well... I tried it immediately and I have fallen in love with it. All kids in my neighbor too btw :))) 
The recipe that I am going to give you here is from Cyprus and they call it "Pites tis Siatziis" (Google it).


Ingredients (for about 6-8 pieces) and approximately as you have to use your cooking skills and adapt the quantities :)
  • Flour (around 250gr)
  • Olive oil (1/3 of a cup)
  • Salt (a bit)
  • Water (1/2 cup)
  • Sugar and cinnamon (some well mixed)
  • Oil for frying
Procedure
In a bowl, mix well with your hands the first ingredients in a way that you create tiny flour balls :) Add warm water and knead well to make a nice dough.
Take small balls of your dough and using a roll flatten them in a floured surface, not very thin though.
Brush the top with some water or oil and sprinkle the mixture of sugar-cinnamon (not too much!).
Start "closing your dough" like in the photos and once completely closed, flatten once again carefully.
Fry in a pan with frying oil from both sides and take them out in absorning paper.
Sprinkle on top icy sugar and cinnamon or even better honey and walnuts and share them with the ones that you love :)

Do not forget to call kids from next door that will be jealous....  

No comments:

Post a Comment