Saturday, January 6, 2018

French orangettes

Orangettes is a traditional french food gift during Xmas. It is actually candied orange peel stripes dipped in dark chocolate that if you like the combination of orange and chocolate you will get addicted to it!
I would like to thank the teacher of a school that I am a volunteer that proposed me to help with doing them this year in order to finance the school trip of their class by selling them to a Christmas market.
I have never done them before, so it was a challenge for me but also a heavy responsibility. So I had to make them first at home to be sure that I am well trained.
End of year period is very busy so I did not have enough time to get nice photos but I did my best given the circumstances. 
The result though was delicious !!!  but be prepared... it takes time too !!!
I can share the recipe with you and here it is the original recipe that we were based on.


Ingredients: (for about 500g of orangettes)
3 big oranges (organic, untreated)
250g white sugar
50cl of water
200g of good quality dark chocolate (around 60-70%)

Procedure

  1. Wash well the oranges and peel them carefully cutting the skin in quarters.
  2. Put them in a casserole covering them with cold water and boil them for 5 min
  3. Drain and redo the last step once more.
  4. Drain and let them cool.
  5. Cut in thin strips of about 0.5cm getting the maximum of length possible.
  6. Prepare the syrup with water and sugar. When start boiling add the strips and boil for 5 min. Allow to cool completely and repeat once more the whole step.
  7. When completely cool, arrange them in a cooling rack and allow overnight to dry.
  8. The next day, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (bain-marie).
  9. Drop a handful of the orange peel strips and turn them with a fork to coat. 
  10. "Fish" them one by one with the fork, allowing the excess to drip off. Arrange them in a tray lined with parchment paper. Allow them to dry completely in a cool place.
  11. Once done (best the next day), make small decorated bags and offer them to your dear ones! 
Enjoy!!!   

  


No comments:

Post a Comment