First came the classic French waffles (gaufres), followed by the rich and caramelized Belgian Liège waffles, and then my latest savory creation: Savory Feta Waffles, inspired by the traditional Greek tyropitakia kourou. Each recipe reminded me just how versatile a waffle iron can be.
But I wasn't done experimenting.
One day, I wondered: What if I cooked my kolokythopatatokeftedes (zucchini and potato fritters) in the waffle iron instead of frying them? The result exceeded all my expectations!
The waffle iron creates so much more crispy surface than a frying pan, which makes it absolutely perfect for recipes like kolokythokeftedes or other vegetable fritters that are usually delicious but quite soft in the center. The outside becomes beautifully golden and crisp, while the inside stays tender and flavorful. Plus, there's no need to stand over a pan flipping fritters one by one.
It's a healthier option, less messy, and honestly... just as tasty—if not better.
So if you already own a waffle iron, don't limit yourself to sweet waffles! Think beyond breakfast and try savory doughs, cheese breads, fritters, hash browns, or even leftover mashed potato mixtures. You might discover a new favorite, just like I did.
I definitely recommend giving it a try. My waffle iron has officially earned a permanent place on my kitchen counter!

No comments:
Post a Comment